Welcome to Skyla Arts!

Skyla Arts by Elizabeth Chang is serving the Bay Area and strives to provide makeup and photography that satisfies the client 100%!

For initial consultation and appointments, please email liz@skyla-arts.com or call 323-346-7599 between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm.

Site Navigation & Networks

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Portraits by Skyla Arts [Makeup, hair & photography]


Model: Y.L.
Makeup, Hair & Photography: Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts)
Photography Assistant: Bochan Kim

Meet my client Y.L.!  She needed some portraits taken to use on her online presence, and she was interested in a more natural portrait.  I had a lot of fun working with Y.L.!  She was the first one to make a comment on the books on my book shelf!!! I was super excited!! :) This took place in July, and at the time I was offering a free masque treatment before makeup application as a promotion.  It was really funny because she was my first client to receive a free masque treatment, but I'm used to applying it on the client when the client is lying down (on a facial bed), so I had said: "This is my first time applying a mask like this" and she was like: "Really!?!?" I'm like: "Nonono not my first time applying a mask on another person!"  Sometimes when I'm concentrating on doing one thing - like makeup or applying a mask, I am so focused I don't finish my sentences.  Oops!  I explained and fortunately Y.L. didn't panic or lose faith in my abilities because I didn't finish my sentence. lol

Below is her testimonial for me on Yelp:
"I don't wear any makeup (I'm the kind of girl who often goes to work in the morning with my hair wet and lets it air-dry there), so when I needed to get a professional photo taken, I felt rather helpless. Liz of Skyla Arts came to the rescue.
I found her to be a consummate professional, from the initial appointment setup to how she was careful to listen to my preferences, while still proferring guidance on what she thought would work best. She has a delightful personality that set me right at ease at her home studio (she also has a friendly cat!).
She handled makeup, hair, and photography, which was wonderfully convenient for me. I went for a more natural look, and even so came out looking probably the best I've been. She also offers some light retouching, but frankly, if I hadn't managed to get lipstick on my teeth (I'm graceful like that), I don't think I would've needed any changes or enhancements at all because the shots came out great. I'm quite proud of the resulting photos and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Skyla Arts to anyone. I'd feel comfortable using her for other occasions as well; I definitely got the sense that she has quite a range, as you can see in her online portfolio, and it's really just a matter of what your needs/wants are."
Thank you again for writing such a wonderful review for me Y.L.!! Unfortunately...Yelp really sucks. What happened was, after she wrote my review, I added her as a 'friend' on yelp since we live close by and it would be nice to read each other's reviews on restaurants and such!! As SOON as I added her on yelp, the review got FILTERED because clearly it's BIASED. There's no way to reverse the filter, and when I talked to Yelp, I also found out they make it a pain in the ass to change the order and edit our profile ON PURPOSE unless you pay $4200 a year to advertise on Yelp! The thing is - Yelp is great for most things, but they are not the kindest to vendors, especially if you do not pay $4200 a year to advertise. This is just my personal opinion! On Weddingwire, when you are listed there for free, they don't impose such restrictions about editing your portfolio and the order of the images. If I wanted to delete, I'd have to do it ONE BY ONE.  

Anyways~ Sorry about the rant about yelp.  Yelp aside, I had a really great time working with Y.L. and also, thanks to my husband, for being a great photography assistant! <3

No comments: