Welcome to Skyla Arts!

Skyla Arts by Elizabeth Chang is serving the Bay Area and strives to provide makeup and photography that satisfies the client 100%!

For initial consultation and appointments, please email liz@skyla-arts.com or call 323-346-7599 between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm.

Site Navigation & Networks

Friday, December 31, 2010

Candace & Jason, Nestldown/Los Gatos Wedding August 2010


Candace & Jason, August 9th 2010
Makeup for Bride & Bride's mother: Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts)
Hair for Bride & Bridal Party: Caroyln (Swirls N' Curls)
Photography: FC Wong Photography *All photos on this blog is courtesy of FC Wong Photography!
Venue: Nestldown

I had the pleasure to work with Candace! It seems like forever but it's only been a few months! ^^" I did makeup for Candace & her beautiful Mommy (they look so alike! ^^) and Candace also hired me to stay 4 extra hours for touch-ups. It was so nice of Candace to invite me to the ceremony since there were some extra seats in the back, and it was really sweet to watch the beautiful ceremony.  

At the beginning of the day, I did something uber embarrassing! I always leave home and get there earlier than expected and sometimes earlier than the bride or even the staff member that was supposed to put a block to prevent guests and unsuspecting vendors (like ME!!!) from going down the wrong path! Even though I followed the instructions given to me by Brooke the coordinator, without any other cars parked, I thought I had to go further down the winding tree path, and turned out to be just GRASS so I had to back up in a curve and scratched my car against some trees! :( poor car..  Anyways - it was pretty embarrassing! I believe they were Candace's baby cousins watching me get stuck there!  ^^|| Oops!  The good news is I arrived earlier and budgeted enough time because they were fixing the high way and so there was only 1 lane! Phew~ but everything went smoothly and on-time! :D 

It's a really beautiful venue - kind of a hidden piece of eden in Los Gatos! The Bridal Cottage is where I set up to do the makeup! Candace has very sensitive skin but very very beautiful skin! As Carolyn (hair stylist) said: "Aren't we lucky? She has perfect hair and perfect skin!" ;)  After the trial, Candace & I actually had a meeting in San Francisco to discuss some feedback Candace had on the makeup, and she wanted more 'glow' on her skin, so she opened up her laptop, and showed me some photos she found...and I was like: "I KNOW THESE PEOPLE" and she was like: "Whaaat? Really??"  It turns out, she found some photos of my teacher Kelly's work~ I knew the models on the photos during my internship at Ra Beauty Core learning from my teacher Kelly.  I had GOOSEBUMPS, and suddenly felt emotional because I missed my teacher, and that Candace had unknowingly connected us just by our makeup style.  I think it was pretty amazing...and touching at the same time!  The "glow"/dewy look is very popular in Korean makeup and so I guess it was very logical to google Korean salons! What a small world! :)

I was waiting for Candace to send me some photos, but right after their wedding, Candace & Jason went on an extended honeymoon trip to Asia, and decided to relocate from San Francisco to Singapore!!!  Yay!!  I haven't heard from Candace recently, but they must be busy settling in, and exploring the exciting world of SE Asia!! :D  So for now, I will have to share the facebook photo gallery sized photos that Candace generously shared with me, and also some that I grabbed from the photographer's blog!  Enjoy the photos, and read a side-story on the bottom! :) 


I wanted to share that Candace's mommy is not used to wearing makeup, but she also had beautiful gorgeous skin like Candace (it's genetics!!! ^^) and was peacefully enjoying her application here, until she realized the photo was being taken!!! At that point (her reaction was priceless and adorable!!!) she told the photographer: "No no no please don't take a photo of me!!!!!!!!" and Candance was on the side getting her hair done: "It's OK mom! Don't worry!"  After she saw herself, she thought it was really dramatic, like the Chinese Opera makeup! And I assured her she looked great~  My favorite photo is the b/w above - it looked like a really heart felt moment~~~ and those are usually my favorite photos from weddings! 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you are amazing at what you did for her wedding makeup. She looks like a true bride :) And the mom, aw! You took such a timeless picture :)

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

oh oh Jen all the photos are taken by F.C. Wong Photography!

:) Thanks for your compliments & for stopping by! Happy new year! :D

Tammy said...

The bride looks beautiful! OoOoh I'm loving her gown dearly, it's got such a quaint vintage touch to it, especially with the veil.

Awww no worries about the car haha it's always such a cliche that women hit free standing objects though hey?? hahahah

Anonymous said...

i agree with you that mommy's moment is priceless! I just adore it. you did a great job!

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

@Tammy: Her dress was suited her perfectly!! ;) ahhh for me, when I started driving I'd hit the curb while parking a lot...and never mind about parallel parking~! which is why backing up a really curved hill=sure thing to scratch car! lol lol

@jojoba: Thanks~~ :) i like priceless mommy and daddy moments~ and priceless auntie/uncle moments too! hehe

PinkOrchids said...

Congratulations to the bride and groom, the bride looks absolutely stunning!!

The photography is so so amazing and the make-up is gorgeous!! xX