Welcome to Skyla Arts!

Skyla Arts by Elizabeth Chang is serving the Bay Area and strives to provide makeup and photography that satisfies the client 100%!

For initial consultation and appointments, please email liz@skyla-arts.com or call 323-346-7599 between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm.

Site Navigation & Networks

Sunday, November 28, 2010

"The Ultimate Tailgate" - Tommy Hilfiger/Macy's/Third Eye Blind Event @ Union Squre, San Francisco

I mentioned this a few blog posts ago in October that I was one of the lead makeup/hair artists for a Tommy Hilfiger/Macy's fashion event held in Union Square! Today I am finally going to blog about it! You can also click here to read a brief article about this event on the SF Gate (San Francisco Chronicles) website!  I was referred to Ford Artists by Lisa Strutz, who is represented by Ford Artist - and that's how I became involved in this event as a lead artist! I was very excited, even though I knew little about what I was getting into because all I was told was that it was a fashion show in SF for Tommy Hilfiger and a 'real fashion show' is something not yet on my repertoire of experiences because you need contacts and a lot of the times, agency representation (which I am actively working on! ^o^).  Not knowing how many models and what type of hair/makeup to do upon arrival to the area designated for hair and makeup at Macy's, I was there early (due to the morning commute from the South Bay to San Francisco! traffic is a horror so I always have to beat the traffic and go earlier!) and talked to the stylists and they informed me that we were going to reproduce "The Hilfigers" - the Fall/Winter 2010 campaign ads and I cheered in side because it was not anything crazy, and in the style that I personally like! (Lifestyle, light makeup, sophisticated!) So here's the fun part - below I posted the ad itself, and then match the outfits to the appropriate model! :D The only one that's missing, Allie from Look Model's corresponding "Hilfiger" is Jacquelyn and her outfit is not pictured in this particular ad! You can also find the ad and introduction on the Tommy Hilfiger "Meet the Hilfigers" website!

Our work in Union Square, with Tommy Hilfiger in the middle.
Photo credit: Sandra Garcia for Drew Altizer 

Lead Artists: Janet Mariscal, Me!, Lisa Strutz @ Ford Artists, and Raul Anthony @ Ford Artists
It was a huge pleasure working with these talented and amazing people!
Photo credit: Janet Mariscal
I started off the day with Alana's @ Look Models makeup and hair, and then it turns out that each lead artist had a perspective assistant!  That kind of stressed me out at first because it surprised me (since I didn't know what to expect!), but 15 minutes, I saw two of the assistants just walking around, and I grabbed Kat, who was an amazing assistant, and the rest of the 90 min of work went mostly smooth sailing! :D After, I proceeded with Garret @ Look's hair, Sam @ Ford's makeup/hair, Ji Son @ Look makeup, and helped finish Alexis @ Look! Weee super fun and productive!!! It was actually a warm day in San Francisco, so I felt bad for Sam with the big big red/black scarf!
Line up! Sam on far right and Alana next to him.
Photo credit: Janet Mariscal
Meet & Greet @ Macy's - Tommy Hilfiger & Third Eye Blind!
Photo credit: Kat
The models had to walk around in their outfits and pass out flyers for the event in Union Square while Tommy Hilfiger and Third Eye Blind had a meet and greet at Macy's!  One funny thing that happened was at first we didn't know who the red carpet and security guards were for, and so Janet went over and asked one of the body guards, wondering who he is protecting...Janet asked: "So whose coming???" and he responded with: "Um...the customers?"  puahahaha we were laughing so hard!  Then Janet told me to quickly go to Union Square to see the models 'on set' (so this is the Fashion Show part! hehe) at Union Square, with the vintage cars, the Tailgate props (including a rugby/football, sodas! and benches)!  It was super super cool! :D
Sam @ Ford, Allie @ Look (Allie's Makeup/Hair by Janet)
Photo credit: Janet Mariscal
Recognize Allie from the underwater photo shoot? :) She looks SUPER Hilfiger in her outfit! So nice to see her again!
Touching up Alana's lipstick in Union Square!
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Ji son @ look (Makeup by Me, Hair by Erika Taniguchi!)
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Aliie getting her boots adjusted by stylist! Ryan @ Look to the left! You might recognize him on my website! :) Blog post coming soon!
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Ji son and Allie @ Look in character, 'lifestyle' mode! :)
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
AWESOME Panoramic View!
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Ji son and Allie @ Look in character, 'lifestyle' mode! :)
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi 
"Lifestyle!"
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Another great panoramic view! :D
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
Photo Credit: Erika Taniguchi
And then, very soon Mr. Hilfiger came on set after the signing ended, and made his rounds through all the cars with the entourage (body guards and media) yeayy it was very cool! :D

Photo Credit: Janet Mariscal
Photo Credit: Janet Mariscal
I didn't say for the Third Eye Blind concert because I had other obligations, but I heard it was a great event! :) There are seats designated for people who spent money at Macy's to get VIP seating, but if you were just hanging out in Union Square, you could still enjoy the concert! I wish I could have stayed! THIRD EYE BLIND! WEEE!

This became a bit of a long post, but I must end by thanking  Ford Artists by Lisa Strutz for the referral, Erika Taniguchi (who was one of the hair assistants and styled Ji Son's hair) as well as artist Janet Mariscal and my assistant Kat, for these wonderful photos to capture the entire event!!!  Erika is a very talented graphic designer, and she inspired me to purchase a better point/shoot/purse-sized digital camera so that in the future when I'm on set, I won't have to take STUPID IPHONE photos!!! It was also a huge pleasure to work along side Lisa, Janet, and Raul Anthony! :) YAY!  More fun posts to come so stay posted! :D

6 comments:

Phoebe said...

Liz, I am so proud of you : ).
be

Anonymous said...

wow this is way cool! you are going places! and this was the first time i saw you (full sized). LOL


i wonder what it's like working with all the famous people. :)


Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

ps: SAM the black and red scarf boy is the hottest. *perspiring*

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

Thank you so much bebe!

@Jojoba - lol Full size! hehe I am BIG! lol~ They are professional models ~ I didn't work with 3rd eye blind or tommy hilfiger himself so I'm not working with famous people yet! teehee.

and lol to the Sam is the hottest comment! He surfs a lot so I was trying to tell him how important it is to replenish his sunscreen! I hope I didn't make him feel bad or anything because I didn't have a lot of time to talk!

Tammy said...

Liz your day job is the most exciting one I've heard in a long time (who I personally have talked to anyway haha) That's so cool you got to work in such a large scale shoot with so many models and for TH no less! Eeek! How did you get started in doing makeup if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, thanks for your suggestions on the no.40 lashes. I like how they look the best, but it's strange, I think the band itself is also thinner than the rest of the other lashes O_O but in any case, I'm gonna try to cut it up separately and use them for bottom lashes or something after the first wear (they usually get mangled haha...)

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

@Tammy: Aww thanks. But u know - I just don't talk about all the unglamorous things I have to do. This is a hard hard industry, and I'm always paying my dues (I'm still pay my dues when applicable). You have to stay humble, and have a great attitude.

Oh Tammy, I was writing a response to you but it turned out to be too long..so i'm gonna dedicate a blog post to you!!! <3