Welcome to Skyla Arts!

Skyla Arts by Elizabeth Chang is serving the Bay Area and strives to provide makeup and photography that satisfies the client 100%!

For initial consultation and appointments, please email liz@skyla-arts.com or call 323-346-7599 between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm.

Site Navigation & Networks

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Kit: as it is April 2011! [Image Heavy]

I've always enjoyed seeing how other makeup artists pack their kit and recently there was a request on a forum to see specifically a ZUCA kit...so here is mine! ;) with captions! I bought the ZUCA Pro at the MAC PRO store my first year, and I decided to do that because it was the same price as the regular ZUC A, just that I had to pay shipping on top of the sales price and sales tax...so it's just annoying that there's a "MAC" logo on it, but I bought the ZUCA Pro backpack at LA IMATS in 2009, and there was a *small* discount and FREE shipping and I found out that they are based in Los Gatos, which is here in the BAY! I snapped these photos as I was unpacking my kit from a shoot~

Crammed in there is my hair kit, makeup brushes & hair brush, extension cords, and MISC. items like extension cords, body lotion/hand lotion/oil, extra ziplock bags! Hair dryer has a nook there to hang ~
My brush roll - from the sigma kit~ I keep face brushes here!
And..other brushes in my Jane Iredale (discontinued) hard brush case, and all my bobbypins/hair ties
Tissues/disposables, hair products, polish remover, brushes
Top left pocket: hair sprays, altoids (!?) and mirror
Lower left pocket: Mousse, dry shampoo, and...magnifying glass~ ^.~   

Right pocket (with the heat protected pocket): Hair straghtener, 1inch curling iron, Heat protecting matt
and in the inner pocket, teasing brushes/rat tail combs
On to the outside of the rolling case..I use the outer pocket to put my "SOILED" ziplock, tape to tape up trash bags, and plastic bags for my trash if there is no trash bin~
Main inner pocket: makeup cape, disposable palettes, and palettes
Upper pocket: Transforming gel, loose pigments~ so if it spills, at least it would be in this pocket 
lower pocket: alcohol sprays, brush cleaner etc.
4 of the clear cases, and the top one is the smaller one from the Zuca artist backpack!
Hiding on the mesh top is my Nail polish kit!
Nail polish!
All laid out~ my other curling iron was hiding on the side~  there's also room to put a brush roll if you wish~
Prep & Prime materials~ and yes, my favorite PCA Anti-redness serum!  Also in here are highlighting cream/gels, and HD blush
Face - foundations, concealers, powder, blush~ 
Eyeliner, mascaras, brows, eyeshadows

my yaby pink foundations, lip gloss, lipstick palettes, lip liners, MUFE flash colors also live here
...and voila~ restored into their rightful places in my studio! 

Another view! 
I do need space to lay out the clear bags, but I don't need to remove every product out of them. I unzip them all the way, or half way, depending on the space, and I stack it on top of one another, and move it to the one I need~ and only grab the products I need - but I can place them right back in there when I'm done, so packing is literally unzipping everything, and stuffing it back to the case.  The hair kit/backpack contains most of the materials I have to completely remove out of the cases, so there is a bit of 'tetris' involved in that one~ But I'm getting more and more used to my set up! I think the most work is involved replacing it back into my studio, or moving it from my studio to my kit for cleaning or having clients at my studio...unfortunately I don't have $$ to have 2 setups and never have to move it~! 

I hope the photos were helpful and/or interesting! 

12 comments:

Kalmo said...

Woah thanks for showing us a pro tool hit! :)

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

Hi Kalmo! thanks for reading and stopping by!~ :)

smilecusiluvu said...

wow soo many products! i use to pack my zuca til its fill but now I condense everything into two big ones.. due to no space at jobs.. so its face and cheeks in one bag and the other is eyes and lips in the other! obtw do you have a way of keeping lipgloss from breaking? My occ lippies broke all over! and lip gloss is always i dont know getting out some how? the bag is always sticky!

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

Ohh I just stack them on top of my zuca and move them around to take out the products I need!

Do you mean glass lipglosses or the tube ones? OCC lip tars? I noticed that when my lipstick bag is too full, one of the clear lip glass i had was kind of oozing out...so I usually keep that bag pretty empty with lots of room, and I try not to keep it right on the bottom. I haven't had anything breaking yet!

Audrey said...

This is awesome!!! I love when people do this. And wow, I had no idea that Zuca is based in Los Gatos!!! I need to look into this. So many people I know have this kit... might need to get one myself. I love all the compartments.

And I'm also really curious about this PCA Anti-redness serum - need to look into this as well :)

Thanks for sharing!

safire said...

SO PRO!

Unknown said...

Oh my! That is A LOTTTTTT of makeup in one bag! I bet you are quite the packer! :D It's so awesome to get an insider's look on how professional MUA do their work :)

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

lol...I can squeeze a lot in that bag!! It is heavy though! the worst part is putting it in my trunk~ ;) hehe

@Audrey: I actually order it for you if you ever are interested~ you can find it amazon (but you can find everything on amazon!) or at your local esthetician's office who uses PCA skin line of products~ It's not like you put it on, and redness goes away completely, but you do notice a difference, making it much easier to cancel out with green primer and foundation! :)

@Grace: *huggsssss miss youuuu*

Anonymous said...

you are my kind of gal! i love looking at well organized bags. i wish i had as much makeup so i can find an excuse to buy such a bag. LOL

this is one of my favourite posts from you!

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

@jojoba: Thank you~ lol~ ;) now I wish the rest of my house was as organized as my makeup kit~ lol~ ;)

Agatha said...

Great! Thx for sharing. Seems like you've got to grips with being organised. Oh how I hate packing and unpacking...

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

oh Agatha...I hate packing/unpacking too! >.< especially loading the kit in my car~ heavy!!