Welcome to Skyla Arts!

Skyla Arts by Elizabeth Chang is serving the Bay Area and strives to provide makeup and photography that satisfies the client 100%!

For initial consultation and appointments, please email liz@skyla-arts.com or call 323-346-7599 between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm.

Site Navigation & Networks

Thursday, March 7, 2013

{Re}Post! "My Five Top Tips for (Most) Clients"

Greetings from Los Angeles! I am down here briefly for The Makeup Show LA that happened last weekend for education/kit investment, for work (and hustling!), and two bridal consultations! I have consultations and meetings lined up when I return home and  I cannot wait to meet my potential brides of 2013 (& 2014!)!

This morning, I am feeling particularly grateful to have great clients & great potential clients!  To potential future clients & vendors alike, I urge you to read this blog by Preston Bailey: "My Five Top Tips for (Most) Clients"!

Just in case you did not click through to the link, I will highlight - in quotes the 3/5 that stood out to me (even though ALL 5 are important!)
"I. We are artists who have gone into business to make a profit. Please refrain from placing us in a position where we feel you are trying to get us to give away our services. It is disrespectful, and leads to resentment of both the client and the job itself.

II. Our main goal is to make you happy. We have the utmost respect for you and your budget, which is why we are willing to be honest about what you can and cannot afford. Please remain flexible with your budget, if you want “more” than what your budget allows.

V. Last but not least, know that we value and respect you. Without you, we do not have a chance to design, and we do not have a business. It is for this reason that we are always willing to go the extra mile, and further. Please be generous and responsive with your feedback, as it is the only way we can learn and grow."
These are great advice, and written so concisely and nicely! I couldn't have said it any better than Preston!  I have some thoughts that came to mind when I read them and here it goes:  Regarding #I, we are artists and service providers, but we are people too - we need to make a living doing what we do! #II. We would not be in this industry if we did not have any desire to make you happy - in fact, that is our main goal! But please understand that our rates are a reflection of our services and unique artistry, something that can't be interchanged with another artist based on pricing, and if you like what we offer and are interested in hiring us, then please don't forget to think about us when you are designating where to spend your budget!  #V. If you don't provide any feedback (positive or constructive), it would be difficult for us to meet your needs. We are artists with our own vision, tastes, and personalities.  We are eager to please you (the client!) and make you happy but we cannot do that if we don't know what you are looking for! 

To end this seemingly random blog post, here is a random photo from Monday's photo shoot! :P  You know backstage in fashion week where the photographers come in and snaps away of the makeup in progress? This was one of those images! I was in the middle of finishing up her makeup, lashes are not done, and obviously her lips are still missing! :) :) No worries, with the right products, you can reduce the appearance of dryness!  

It was an absolute pleasure to work with an amazing team - this gorgeous model (Sacha from Wilhelmina LA), photographer Alvin Nguyen, and celebrity hair stylist Daven Mayeda on this shoot.  I was definitely excited and inspired again with everyone's creative energies coursing around! Most importantly, I challenged myself with trying to do eyebrows a different way than what I'm used to (based on the class/demo taught by Sam Fine last Saturday at the Makeup Show LA)!  I'm just happy to be pushing myself harder to get to the next level!!! 

Until next time! Have a happy Thursday/Friday and Weekend ahead! v^o^v


No comments: